Exciting collaborations to effect real change
The Solent Cluster represents a once in a generation opportunity to effect real change in energy production and consumption. It brings together a wide group of members focused on the decarbonisation of businesses and industry in the southern region and beyond.
The Solent Cluster is a collaboration of industry leaders, global organisations, universities and local government working together to create a low carbon future that will benefit the local economy, the region and the UK.
- To make a major contribution in the UK’s move to Net Zero.
- To enable the Solent and wider region to become a leading area for low carbon investment, now and for the future.
- To bring new jobs and investment for the benefit of our communities and secure existing jobs and livelihoods.
- To help the UK remain competitive and deliver on national energy priorities.
- To provide a platform to showcase the Solent’s low carbon innovation and collaboration and embrace innovation and future fuel technologies.
- To enable the production of reliable and sustainable fuel sources.
- To make a tangible difference to the communities, businesses and industries that are situated in the Solent.
Up to 10 million tonnes of CO₂ captured per year by this project, which is the equivalent to taking 3.75 million cars off the road.
20 – 30 million
20 – 30 metric tonnes of CO₂ captured, transported and stored annually in Clusters nationwide by 2030.
90% reduction in industrial emissions is planned by 2050 compared to 2018 levels is the target set by the Industrial Decarbonisation Strategy to help reach Net Zero.
Did you know?
- 1.3 million people live in the Solent region.
- 42,000 businesses are located in the Solent region.
- £31bn economy is supported by businesses in the Solent region.
- Up to 10 million tonnes of CO₂ captured per year by this project, which is the equivalent to taking 3.75 million cars off the road.
- 5% of the UK’s CO2 emissions in 2020, were created by domestic maritime vessels, more than trains and buses combined.
- 40% of all industrial CO₂ ever captured has been successfully captured by one of our founding members, ExxonMobil. That is equivalent to the annual emissions of more than 25 million cars.
- 50 year’s experience of safe hydrogen production has been achieved at Exxon Mobil’s site in Fawley.
Still have questions?
Here we provide help with the most common questions about The Solent Cluster, it’s role and purpose.